Linguists/Researchers who are proficient in multiple languages are strongly urged to apply; languages of interest include: Amharic, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Dari, Farsi, French/Arabic (combined), German/Turkish (combined), Indonesian, Korean, Kurdish, Pashto, Russian, Serbo-Croatian/Albanian (combined), Somali, Sudanese Arabic, Thai, Turkish, and Urdu. Must possess native or near native proficiency in the one of the languages listed below, typically a minimum of 3/3 on the DLPT or equivalent test.
The position is located in Reston and you must be able to work at the required location.
Duties and Responsibilities: The candidate(s) will apply cultural knowledge and subject matter expertise in conducting Internet research on a broad range of customer-directed duties. Develop appropriate research approach commensurate with tasking complexity and customer deadlines using the most effective techniques and tools.
Develop an appropriate schedule to monitor customer-provided websites. Conduct research to identify new websites directly relevant to customer taskings; validate authoritativeness of websites. Monitor assigned or newly identified websites, extract and translate relevant information (including multimedia) derived from key sources.
Structure and synthesize collected data responsive to customer tasking into reports; and select, based on customer instructions, (while conducting routine monitoring or research) material for processing as standalone translation. Apply customer-provided editing and style standards; adhere to customer-provided product standards based on specific product type required by customer.
Iterate reports as required with quality assurance staff to assure product meets customer requirements for relevance and quality. Produce final approved version for dissemination. Produce accurate and grammatically correct translations using good idiomatic English on customer-provided templates and apply editing and style requirements standards. Ensure consistent recordkeeping on all tasks, providing consistent customer feedback on progress.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent and 2 to 4 years of relevant experience.
• Familiarity with vernacular Internet associated with researcher's primary language
• Experience doing English and vernacular Internet research; familiarity with Internet tools and capabilities (i.e. Google-earth, search engines, social networking sites)
• Ability to recognize significant developments based on customer requirements
• Ability to conduct independent web research with some oversight and supervision
• Meets linguistic qualifications of primary linguist as defined by customer
• Ability to produce concise, pertinent, synthesized research information into professional, well-organized, grammatically correct, idiomatic reports also consider cultural overtones; requires some oversight and supervision
• Ability to manage competing priorities
• Demonstrated critical thinking and written communication skills
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively in team environment
• Strong computer skills, including use of MS Office and the Internet
Desired Qualifications: Candidates will have previous experience conducting topical/thematic vernacular open source Internet research. Also must have knowledge of U.S. Intelligence Community, military, and/or law enforcement.